What Is Health Hop®
- Health Hop® is a fusion of medical information and rap music.
- The songs are written based on current medical research, guidelines, and recommendations.
- Conventional lecture information is transformed into the song format and accuracy is preserved.
- Music evokes emotions among listeners and Health Hop instrumental compositions are created with this in mind.
- Illnesses such as asthma and sickle cell, that may lead to upsetting feelings, are presented through songs produced with an upbeat and lively feel.
- Serious, biopsychosocial issues such as drug and alcohol use, and HIV prevention are produced to evoke serious emotions and thought.
- Health Hop songs on medical topics cover allergies, asthma, diabetes, and sickle cell and have the following objectives:
- Teach prevention strategies and promote compliance
- Present basic information on issues such as medication & treatment in a fun, cool, and entertaining manner.
- Present much of the same information that would be presented in a conventional lecture
- Biopsychosocial factors relate to or concern the interplay of biological, psychological, and social aspects of disease in contrast to the strictly biomedical aspects of disease.
- The prevention and teaching strategy of several of the Health Hop® songs incorporates the biopsychosocial approach.
- The biopsychosocial songs cover HIV, teen pregnancy, smoking, drug & alcohol use, eating disorders, and violence.
- The following is a list of the objectives of this group of songs:
- Provoke and shape thought
- Raise Issues Which May Not Have Been Considered
- Present Realistic Scenarios & Outcomes
- Make Healthful Choices Appealing
- Educate Without Preaching
- Provide positive entertainment
"Songs are written based on current medical research, guidelines, and recommendations."